Free support to join the Great Get Together
The Great Get Together, co-created by the Big Lunch in partnership with the Jo Cox Foundation, is a national celebration of community and what we have in common. Over the weekend of 17-18 June, neighbours all over the UK will come together for fun community activities culminating in The Big Lunch on Sunday 18 June.
Growing Support is working in partnership with the Big Lunch to enable older people living in residential care to join in with the Great Get Together. Starting with a pilot in the South West we will support community groups and care homes to come together for a sociable event.
Events may be big or small, from a garden party for the whole community to sharing tea and cakes with the next door neighbours.
The idea is that by starting simple, all sorts of friendships, ideas or projects could come out of The Great Get Together. It gets people together and talking — and with a few inspired folk it might lead to more older people living in care able to be more involved in their local community.
The Great Get Together is also being supported by Care Home Open Day, a national campaign to increase care homes’ connections with local communities. Fittingly, this year’s theme for Care Home Open Day is Friendship.
Growing Support are offering four care homes two free days of support to enable residents to join the Great Get Together. To be eligible all care homes have to do is:
- Be pioneers ready to be the first to join in the Great Get Together!
- Be located in Bristol, Bath, N Somerset or S Gloucestershire
- Consult with residents to identify what social activity they would like to do most
- Work with Growing Support to engage family, friends or local community groups such as schools or scouts or people living nearby to join the Great Get Together at your care home
- Host a social activity such as a tea party
- Work with Growing Support to provide recommendations of how to encourage other care providers to join in the Great Get Together in future years
- Work with Growing Support to provide photos and case studies for the media
If you would like to receive support with taking part in the Great Get Together please get in touch at email@example.com.
For further information and activity ideas see the Big Lunch website
For more information on Care Home Open Day see their website