Growing Support is a small community based organisation whose volunteers make a big difference. Volunteers are key to our ability to enable older people to be more physically and socially active, spend time outdoors and enjoy working in the garden.
Join us to be part of a pioneering new way of tackling loneliness, social isolation and inactivity.
You can help address a huge issue: Up to 50% of older people living in care never go outside and they are twice as likely to experience severe loneliness as those living in the community.
We can’t do it without you!
Growing Support supports you all the way with
- Initial induction and training
- On the job training and support when working with service users
- Quarterly volunteer meetings where we provide training, peer support and an opportunity to socialise with your fellow volunteers
- Opt-in peer support and further supervision
- Valuable work experience
“I really enjoyed the training. It was insightful and inspiring and I’m really looking forward to getting started” Emma, Volunteer
Now, the practicalities, we are looking for volunteers who are able to
- Travel independently to care homes or community gardens in Bath, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire.
- Support activity sessions running during the day on weekdays
- Commit to 2-4 hours once a week or once a fortnight for preferably at least 6 months. Sessions usually take place in the morning or afternoon between the hours of 10am and 4pm.
We have several roles available in different locations:
- Care homes in Bristol and South Gloucestershire: Download here
- Care homes in Bath and NE Somerset: Download here
- Care homes in N Somerset: Download here
- Community gardening groups in public spaces in Lawrence Weston, East Redcliffe or Filwood: Download here
To apply to join the volunteer team
- In Bristol or South Gloucestershire, please complete this application form
- In Bath and NE Somerset, please complete this application form
- In North Somerset please complete this application form
Please send your completed application form to email@example.com by 25th May 2017. We will hold informal interview on the evening of Tuesday 6th June and induction training will be held on the evening of Tuesday 13th June.
If you have any questions or need any help please feel free to drop Sam a line on firstname.lastname@example.org or give her a call on 07548 206 158.
Find out what our volunteers think about working with Growing Support
- Debs joined Growing Support to explore her interest in gardening as a form of therapy for older people. Read Debs’ story here
- Ruth joined Growing Support to help broaden her skills as an occupational therapist. Read Ruth’s story here
- Rosie joined us to put her training into practice and after seeing her Gran’s experience of needing extra support. Read Rosies’s story here
- Julia loves the outdoors and has a lifelong interest in connecting with people. Find out how Julia is helping residents of care homes stay connected with their community here
- Joe finds volunteering with Growing Support very rewarding, listen to his story below:
- Grace has a special interest and many years experience working with people with dementia, previously as a Community nurse and now as a Health Visitor for older people. Watch the video below to hear Grace tell of the therapeutic benefits of volunteering with Growing Support:
- John’s Father had dementia and was living in a care home when he joined Growing Support. Find out why John keeps coming back to volunteer.
For family members or carers
Are you frustrated about the lack of access to suitable outdoor space or meaningful activity provided for your family member or person you care for? Growing Support can work with you and your care provider to develop new activities shaped by you and the person you care for. Please email email@example.com for an initial discussion, we’d love to hear from you!
To find out more about all these opportunities, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.